The Military Museum of Tasmania is situated within Anglesea Barracks, Davey Street, Hobart. This Barracks precinct is recognized as one of Australia’s most significant historical military precincts and its appearance today is much as it was when the first buildings were constructed in 1814.
The Museum is located in the Military Gaol which was built in 1847. This building is little changed from when it was first built even though over the years it has also been used as a Girls Reformatory, a married quarter, a store and offices.
Volunteers operate the Museum. Displays interpret the colonial period when the British Army occupied the site and the various conflicts Tasmanian service men and women have been involved in from 1899 to the current operational deployments
The Museum’s Brochure is available here in pdf format.